The mission of RHHP..

The mission of RHHP is to provide a Christian community setting where persons of various cultures learn from each other, the surrounding neighborhood, and life in Baltimore city. We believe that people's lives are blessed by being part of faith communities.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Meeting more neighbors

Today is the neighborhood clean-up. Father Tom, Ellen and I were there but the organizer was no where to be seen. It was a beautiful morning so I decided to mow the overgrown vacant lot across the street on the southwest corner of Whitelock and Linden. While mowing, a couple of men were loading building supplies onto their truck. One of the men turned out to be the owner of the house across the street on Whitelock. We commiserated on the burdens of home ownership. He then asked me where I lived and I gestured towards RHHP. He inquired to the nature of the and I explained the relationship of RHHP to the North Baltimore Mennonite Church and the residents. He said that he is Ethiopian and that his wife went to a Mennonite college in Virginia 25 years ago. I suggested that it might be Eastern Mennonite University which jogged his memory. He said that his name was Akele and introduced me to his son Adam and Jose who appeared to work for Akele. Small world.

No comments: